1. Choose Your Provider Carefully
Knoxville has some amazing providers! Your provider will set the tone for your pregnancy, labor, and birthing time. While it’s possible to birth naturally with a high-intervention provider, you are going to be much more likely to achieve the natural birth you’re looking for if you choose a provider (and a facility) that believes in the process of labor — that it is a natural physiological process, not a medical event that needs to be “managed”. I'm a huge fan of midwives, although you will also find some OBs who are friendly to natural childbirth as well.
For a list of providers in East Tennessee that I recommend, visit my “Resources” page. Top on my list? The Lisa Ross Birth Center in Knoxville, Tennessee — staffed with wonderful, caring, and knowledgable midwives, the birth center provides a low-intervention setting that is peaceful and compatible with a calm, natural birth experience.
2. Take Advantage of the Hills and WALK
Have you looked outside lately? We live in THE most beautiful part of the country. Take advantage of those East Tennessee hills out there, and get your booty in gear! Some studies suggest that the fitness level of the mother can result in a shorter labor, fewer medical interventions, and less exhaustion during labor.
3. Take a Childbirth Education Class
Ever heard that knowledge is power? This is TOTALLY true, especially during the labor and birthing process. Once you can better understand the natural physiological process of birth, you can understand why you should avoid interventions and some methods to make that possible. Childbirth Ed classes give you the opportunity to learn in a fun environment from seasoned pros and the opportunity to have some bonding time with your partner.
East Tennessee has a range of classes offered from HypnoBabies to Bradley Method. For my top choices, visit my RESOURCES PAGE HERE.
4. Surround Yourself With Likeminded Mamas
Just tell your well-meaning friends who aren’t that into natural childbirth that you would rather not hear their horror stories and instead surround yourself with other mamas/mamas-to-be who value the process as much as you do. That positivity will help alleviate your fears and give you the strength you will need during the birthing process. BONUS: You’ll now have a whole group of potential play-date friends already set up!
There are LOTS of Knoxville mommies who are lovers of natural birth! So, check out the circles at Lisa Ross Birth Center in Knoxville, or if you’re into virtual support, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/KnoxvilleBirthNetwork/
5. Hire A Knoxville Doula
Yep. I’m a little biased on this one. But, don’t just take my word for it.
Numerous clinical studies have found that with a doula who provides continuous support during labor, women have shorter labors, fewer complications , and fewer cesareans. Women are also less likely to need pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), drugs for pain relief including an epidural, and forceps or vacuum extraction. They are also more likely to be satisfied with their birth experience
Want more info on what I do as a Knoxville Doula? Click HERE. I’d love to chat with you more!
ROCK ON, MAMAS!
Your Knoxville Doula - Martha H.
- Jun 2, 2016 A Doula's List of Stuff You Should Really Pack in Your Hospital Bag, (Part 1: The Labor Bag) Jun 2, 2016
- May 10, 2016 When My Midwife Changed My Life May 10, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Introducing ... Exclusive Doula Client Resource Pages! Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 Doula "Work" is Life "Work" Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 A Beautiful Love Letter Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One of My Favorite Doula Moments Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Doulas Can Help Turn Lemons into Lemonade Apr 4, 2016
- Apr 1, 2016 My Promise As Your Doula Apr 1, 2016
- Mar 31, 2016 How to Stay Sane When You're Over 40 Weeks. Mar 31, 2016
- Mar 28, 2016 Your Doula's Thoughts on Birth Affirmations Mar 28, 2016
- Mar 24, 2016 But You Don't LOOK Like A Doula.... Mar 24, 2016
- Mar 12, 2016 I DO(ula) THAT. Part I :: What Does a Really Doula Do? Mar 12, 2016
- Mar 9, 2016 Does Your Doula's Persona/Personality Matter? Mar 9, 2016
- Mar 7, 2016 Music during Birth (and Your Doula's Favorite Playlists!) Mar 7, 2016
- Mar 6, 2016 Double Hip Squeeze in Labor :: Pressure & the Pelvis Mar 6, 2016
- Mar 5, 2016 Doulas for Everyone? Mar 5, 2016
- Mar 4, 2016 Tennova Knoxville Birth Photography by Hello Darling Doula Mar 4, 2016
- Mar 3, 2016 Knoxville & Chattanooga Doula Support. More than just "healthy". Mar 3, 2016
- Feb 27, 2016 I Needed A Doula When... I Was Going Through Post Partum Anxiety Feb 27, 2016
- Feb 23, 2016 A Doula's Thoughts on Rooming In & Newborn Nurseries Feb 23, 2016
- Feb 21, 2016 Knoxville Birth & Child Resources (Your Doula's Favs) Feb 21, 2016
- Feb 17, 2016 Chattanooga Birth & Child Resources Feb 17, 2016
- Feb 16, 2016 Doula... Just tell me what to do! Your Knoxville + Chattanooga Doula Weighs In Feb 16, 2016
- Nov 23, 2015 Baby Sleep Troubleshooting >> Part I : Mixed Up Nights & Days >> By Knoxville Doula Nov 23, 2015
- Nov 20, 2015 One "Miracle" Food to Eat for a Shorter/Easier Labor>> Eat Dates >> Knoxville Doula / Chattanooga Doula Nov 20, 2015
- Nov 5, 2015 Your Support Person & The Doula >>> Husbands, Dads, Moms, & More! Nov 5, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 You Might Need A Doula IF... Nov 2, 2015
- October 2015
- Sep 29, 2015 Don't Just Lay There: 4 Ways to Keep Labor Going After An Epidural Sep 29, 2015
CLICK HERE FOR A FREE DOULA CONSULTATION WITH MARTHA TODAY!
- Nov 2, 2017 Kristen & Michael : A Sweet Knoxville Maternity Session Nov 2, 2017
- Apr 26, 2017 Baby Selah's Enters the World @ Knoxville's UT Medical Center Apr 26, 2017
- Mar 13, 2017 A VBA2C Birth Story @ Tennova Physician's Regional Mar 13, 2017
- Mar 6, 2017 A Beautiful Birth at UT Medical Center, Knoxville Mar 6, 2017
- Feb 20, 2017 Knoxville (Tennova Physician's Regional) Birth Photography Feb 20, 2017
- Sep 27, 2016 Cleveland Tennessee Birth Photography :: Tennova Hospital Sep 27, 2016
- Sep 27, 2016 Chattanooga Birth Photography :: Baby Silas's Birth Story Sep 27, 2016
- May 26, 2016 Knoxville Birth Photography & Doula | Baby W. @ Tennova with Midwife Blair H. May 26, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Knoxville Birth Photography @ Parkwest. Precious Baby "L". Apr 4, 2016
- Mar 3, 2016 Tennova Knoxville Birth Photography by Hello, Darling Doula Mar 3, 2016
- Feb 14, 2016 Chattanooga Birth Doula & Birth Photography :: A FAST ONE! Feb 14, 2016
- Dec 4, 2015 Birth Story in Cleveland, Tennessee >> Hello, Darling Dec 4, 2015
- Oct 19, 2015 Sweetwater Tennessee Birth Photography Oct 19, 2015
- Oct 9, 2015 Birth Photography - Knoxville (Fort Sanders). Baby H. Oct 9, 2015